Notes from MIST Council meeting 29/10/12

29 October 2012, Conference room 13, RAL

Participants: Mike Hapgood, Emma Woodfield, Mario Bisi, Rob Fear, David Southwood

  1. Agree agenda
    1. Agenda agreed
  2. Draft SSAP report
    1. Draft and Agreed note to send on behalf of STP community
    2. Sent 4 minutes before formal deadline at noon
    3. Put on MIST web site
  3. Autumn MIST
    1. Coffee and rooms are booked
      1. RAS LT for talks
      2. Council room for coffee
    2. Can have 3 sessions and run until about 17:00
    3. Tim Horbury to give invited talk
    4. Will need talk on state of MIST
    5. Deadline is coming Friday (2 Nov) - already have 6 abstracts
    6. Posters
      1. Suggestion to put boards against Council table
      2. But this limits us to use one side of board
      3. Will review when we know how many posters we have
  4. Dungey Special Meeting and Lecture
    1. Reviewed David's draft annoucement
    2. David chasing up other old students of Jim
    3. Looking for younger scientists to talk about topics on which Jim has worked
      1. ULF waves
      2. reconnection
      3. radiation belts
    4. Meeting is in GeolSoc LT so can handle 200+
      1. but some concern we may exceed this
      2. do we need tickets so numbers are controlled?
      3. David may ask Imperial secretary to collect registrations
  5. NAM 2013
    1. Plenaries
      1. First choice is Mark Lester as Mark missed slot at NAM 2012
      2. Other possibilities
        • Andrew Fazakerley - follow up to his Chapman Medal
        • Malcolm Dunlop - SWARM
        • Richard Horne - RBSP
      3. Mike to discuss with SOC
    2. How to build programme?
      1. Need to make a Call for Ideas
      2. Start Call at Autumn MIST
  6. MIST web site
    1. Rob and Emma now in control of web site
    2. Reviewed content on-line and agreed some changes
    3. Remove old links
    4. Tidy up list of groups
    5. Collect data on indicators of esteem for MIST scientists
      • Fellowships
      • Awards and Named Lectures
  7. Promoting our science
    1. Briefing papers
      1. Mike to chase up old list ot proposed papers
      2. Some exist in draft form
      3. EISCAT_3D should be a priority
      4. Re-prompt for ideas at Autumn MIST
      5. Can authors recycle material from proposals
      6. Other options
        • Rad belts - can Spacecast help?
        • Artificial aurora - Lancaster?
        • History - David interested to write about Alfven, Chapman, Dungey and Birkeland
    2. Promote outreach sites
      1. SunEarthPlan.net
      2. SolarStormWatch
  8. AOB
    1. Should we have a MIST equivalent to UKSP nuggets?
      1. How to sustain?
    2. MIST Council election 2013
      1. needs to take place before "Spring MIST" @ NAM2013
      2. Mike to flag this at Autumn MIST
      3. circulate note to Heads of Groups - ask them to encourage candidates so we have a good election
    3. Date of next MIST Council meeting
      1. telecon in Feb/Mar 2013
    4. Rishbeth Prize money
      1. Mike to check status with RAS